Friday, June 29, 2012

Being Present

In the present moment, wow that's a hard thing to do. With all the technology we have, were constantly giving pieces of ourselves away to our phones, email, FACEBOOK (My culprit), work, house, etc. I just finished  FISH! by Stephen C. Lundin, Ph.D., Harry Paul and John Christensen. This is a great book especially if you are dealing with a toxic work area. However, some of the philosophies could be applied to present day. One of which in the book it talked about being present with customers. Actually being there and not thinking about each and every other thing we need to do. Well, as a mommy to a 7 year old who doesn't actually have conversation but asks 100 questions a day this can be so hard to do.  I really have lots of things to focus on and he continually has a billion questions to ask. One of the examples in the book was one of the employees kids asked him to take her to the park. He said he would get to it just not right now. Well, now is 5 years later and she is a teenager and could care less about the park.

This hit me hard. I will constantly answer Evan's (my son) questions while I'm reading a website, texting etc. It takes a lot for me to STOP what I am doing and just be present for him. He deserves that minute of my time that can be better designated anyways. This summer Evan, Kayla (my daughter), and I made a pact, to have fun and really enjoy summer. Evan as a WAHM I had to make this goal. Making it a daily effort to have fun has been tiring and challenging amongst the regular responsibilities to my business and household. But, the rewards have been plenty. They love me watching them slide down the slide, almost get a broken bone on the spin-go-round, or play with friends on a stage. This fills up their cup that promises I am there for them. Yes, it is draining to go in the heat and make an effort to do fun things. However, last night as we are driving home from movies in the park they both told me this was the summer they will never forget. This is our first summer were not taking a big family vacation (had a small camping trip), so it was important to make it fun. We didn't need a big trip to relax, or activities planned every day of the week to keep us having fun (this was a big one as we are in soccer, gymnastics, church, and scouting activities during the year.) We just needed to be together doing goofy and unique things we only do this time of year, and making a concerted effort to do so.

Reading this book further affirmed my decision to be present. I put off the park all year long, we go two-three times a week now. I am going to put my phone down, or stop watching the tv, or put down whatever I am doing just for that little minute they need me to ask the question that is so important on their little hearts. This is a hard thing to do and is a fine balance. Just have to remember, they will never be this age again, and we don't get the luxury of a do-over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a Dad who is proud of the Avon Mommy. You make a awesome mom. I hope you remember some of the family stuff we did during the summers of the past. Love you Dad

Unknown said...

Love you Dad! Of course I remember. That's why it is so important for the kids to have a fun summer I always did.