Monday, July 2, 2012

Book Review: Start Something That Matters~Blake Mycoskie TOMS



Start Something That Matters

Many have said if you want to be successful you need to study those who are successful. One of the more successful and unique business platforms is TOMS shoes. Who doesn't love TOMS shoes? While I don't own a pair (eyeing one for my birthday!) I love the concept of the one for one philosphy.  When you buy a pair of shoes from their site, they will give a pair to someone in need. Socially, his philosophy has spread from college campuses, schools, and even a National One Day Without Shoes The company has spread from just shoes to eyewear and even books. Blake Mycoskie, chief shoe giver authored Start Something that matters. This book really intrigued me just because I like the TOMS story. Blake's storytelling style is amazing and he shares lessons he's learned from his success and failures and other lessons from other organizations such as FEED, method, Terra Cycle, and charity:water. In our economic age, he really wanted to do something that mattered. Charities were failing and yet he was inspired in Argentina to put shoes on little kids. So, the design of TOMS shoes actually came from Argentina styles. He gives us six simple steps such as discovering YOUR story, incorporating giving into everyday life and being resourceful without resources. I gleaned different ideas to incorporate into my own daily living and business that actually makes a difference and a significant change to the way I am doing things.

This was by far one of the best business books an. The tips and techniques and learning about the company successes and failures will help any business propel forward. Yet, it is about more than just personal business success, but really doing something that matters outside of our own little bubble. We all seem to dwell in these small bubbles of our friends, family, work, church, and social lives, it's very hard to step out sometimes. Reading this book inspired me to step out of my bubble and I am sure it will do the same for you!

No comments: