Monday, July 23, 2012

No TV DAY! Unplugged!


"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."
 Author: Angela Schwindt.
It's funny how when we ground kids we think it will really get them to think, yet were left pondering their's and our actions. We're doing all the thinking and they are moving on!

Being summer we have soaked up HOURS of Disney XD, Nick, and Disney channel plus sprinkle in several Netflix and Redbox movies. (They don't spend ALL day but much longer than during the school year as it is a treat) in the Las Vegas Heat, sometimes TV becomes a great way to rest and cool off. Not that TV monitoring was bad, but I didn't mind my kids zoning out during the summer. Were having a carefree no planning summer, so this has been quite the treat to watch a marathon of their favorite Disney shows.

However, their romp in summer carefree land ended after some bad behavior. I turned the TV off. But, I also made the decision for myself. I decided maybe instead of listening to TV while I was doing my usual chores and work on the computer, I would actually just leave it off. I've grown into a terrible habit of television and need to break my own. This has turned out to be a blessing for all of us. The kids are calmly playing together, we got lots of summer brain enhancing games accomplished (workbooks, flash cards, etc), and I have gotten lots of work done for my Avon business. Granted it's not as quiet as it is when I let them watch TV, yet I can hear some conflict resolution and cooperation happening upstairs. This time of reflection is helping me realize my own addictions including all the shows and frankly the comfort of the TV screen. So, I am going to have a NO TV Day per week (some days it happens naturally yet I think a designated day would benefit us all). It causes everyone to think outside the box (literally)!! Maybe I'll even take it one step further and have an unplugged day! No video games, no phones, just music and family! (well.. we will take that one step at a time) ;) I love how when I think I'm teaching them, they end up teaching me.

So, I challenge you, what is your family habit that would benefit being turned off. The TV? The Computers? The Video Games? Share what would help you live a better life with kids Unplugged.



No comments: